19 November 2014

A Heart for Missions // Meet Adora {A Guest Post}

Hi guys! Today I have Adora from Halcyon Bound, do a super quick, super slick guest post! YALL. I've known this girl for a year and a bit BUT WE ARE SUCH SOUL SISTERS ITS RIDICULOUS! She's so gorgeous it's annoying and HER HEART is so big and ugh she's basically the best! I thank the Lord for this shweeet friendship/sisterhood/jokership that we have! 

oh look here we are chilling at my graduation mquay
Hello! I'm Adora, and I have a little blog called Halcyon Bound where I share my writing, my love for Jesus, and my commentary on the shenanigans of life! I've been good friends with Norkor for what seems like an eternity and a half, so we're basically sisters. The moment the opportunity came up for me to guest post on her blog, I jumped on it with the enthusiasm of a sugar hyped child on a clown at a birthday party. I was very excited, to say the least. Something Norkor and I share in common is our love for children and any opportunity to share the love of Jesus. 


Two summers ago I had the amazing opportunity to team up with the Global Missions Project and go to Curitiba, Brazil on a music mission trip. We played at Churches, schools, and community centers all over the city. We were partnered with the Life In Music Space program that takes children off the streets and gives them an opportunity to learn an instrument. This program was so great because I got to meet so many adorable little children who really just had the toughest lives, and just being able to make them smile made the whole 19 hours of flight so worth it. 


Some of these children had lost their parents, or lived in abusive households, or were part of gangs, but the Life In Music Place program gave them a place to go after school where they could learn something instrumental (no pun intended) to their personal growth. I've played brass for nine years now, and I know how therapeutic it can be and how much I enjoy it, so teaching these kids and watching them grow was such a humbling experience. It's not easy being a teacher, no matter how good you are at what you do. Patience in such circumstances is definitely a virtue. And luckily towards children, I have abundance!


They were so cute as they took huge gulps of air before trying to play my french horn, and still only getting air through. My favorite part was watching their mouths drop open in an "ohhh" when I played for them. Being able to show a child something they've never experienced before is such a gratifying experience, I've decided that I might just have 10 kids! But realistically I might only pull off 4. 


When we weren't performing with the local orchestra, performing at schools and community centers, or giving private lessons, we got to tour Curitiba. My hands down favorite place was the botanical garden. It was a large steel framed, glass building and housed an assortment of plant life. It was so serene in there, I felt like I was in the Garden of Eden (minus Satan, thank the good Lord).


My experience in Brazil was unforgettable, and I can’t wait until my next mission trip. Seeing how God works in the lives of people all over the world really just inspires me to live my life for Him every day! But you don’t have to travel far to make a difference in someone else’s life. Just look around you. Adora.


You can follow Adora's adventures through her last year of high school on her blog, instagram, tumblr and pinterest!

You may have missed:
An Open Letter to Senegal
Road Trip Shenanigans
The Gap Year Grind: A Guest Post

Since you have accepted Christ Jesus as Lord, live in union with him. Keep your roots deep in him, and build your lives on him, and become stronger in your faith, as you were taught. And be filled with thanksgiving. Colossians 2:6

Bloglovin' | Pinterest | Instagram | Facebook

4 comments

  1. Thank you for having me guest post! And also, thank you for just being so quick to post pictures of the good ol' brace face days. That was great too. But Norkor, when are you coming over for a barbeque?? Can we plan something serious??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gyal! Always welcome, please come again! Brace face days were the greatest! What are you talking about? Have I not been asking for directions to the head quarters also known as your humble abode?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That mission trip sounds like such a cool experience! It's awesome when you can use your specific gifts to serve God in something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man I love missions experiences as a chance to learn God's heartbeat for the world, and to open your eyes to see how others live. It's such a good reminder of God's grace, and the bigger picture He has for the world. Love this post! And love this blog...just found it and the design is on POINT!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers! Please leave a lovely comment :)

© Voyageuse Africaine
Maira Gall