12 January 2015

The Truth About My Gap Year : Part I


I've been so productive today, I decided hey, I could probably throw in some blogging into all this productivity! I'm 6 months into my gap year, and to say it hasn't quite gone the way I would have wanted it to is an understatement.

Y'ALL.

I had all these goals and was so mega super pumped up about this gap year. LOL. Jokes. It's basically that quote that says "If you want to make God laugh, tell Him about your plans" by Woody Allen.

Some of my goals for this gap year were:
- Two internships; the total number of internships I've done in my past 6 months add up to a nice round number of 0.00.

- Get involved in music; I still do not own a musical instrument despite having the ability to play the piano, flute, violin and a dash of guitar. Fantastic

- Be adventurous; this is the vaguest of all vague gap year goals. I still have no idea what that means. I guess it could mean anything right?

- Get healthy/ work out; what is healthy? Who is work out? I am currently not acquainted with any of these terms.

- Improve photography skills; THE ONLY GOAL that I've somewhat achieved. My instagram game is much better. I feel like my artistic side is just poppin' at the moment. My eye for interesting colors and compositions is just YAAZZZ.

- Be consistent with everything [walk with Jesus, taking care of mom]; also another goal that I've SOMEWHAT achieved. I still really struggle with having a daily quiet time, especially in the mornings. I'm not a morning person, but that's not even an excuse.

But on a serious note, I'm sorta bummed about all the things I haven't achieved in my gap year, but on the other hand, I'm trusting God to come through for me all the time! Like okay so what if I haven't done 2 internships yet and I'm half way through my gap year? God has promised me in Jeremiah 29:11 that He has plans for me to prosper and not to harm me, plans to give me a hope and a future. So really its all good in the hood.

This is a long text post, so I guess I'll do a part 2 on it! :) Thats all for now.

You can catch up with all my gap year posts here:

You May Have Missed:
Happy New Year + Some Other Shenanigans 
10 Thoughts I Had Whilst Watching Exodus
Film Adventures

Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name. For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations. Psalm 100:4-5

14 comments

  1. My gap year was quite the adventure, what was suppose to to be a gap year turned into two and the second was very different from what I expected. It was not something I had planned on happening. In the first gap year, I got what I set out to do done. Things are different for everyone, but time is never wasted, God uses it all and it is all purposeful in some way or another. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sort of did a gap year...after my first year of college. haha :) I agree wholeheartedly with Felecia! Time is never wasted. Tomorrow is a new day, and instead of being discouraged because you haven't accomplished what you thought you were going to, you can start fresh & motivate yourself to take steps towards accomplishing these goals.


    You can doo ittt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I follow you on Instagram, and I'd have to agree - your photography skills are on point! It's so cool how you're learning about God's timing through this. I've found that God usually decides to throw me for a loop right when my biggest, most carefully planned plans are going on. Justbto remind me that He's God, and that He's in charge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy this all-too-fast season of life as it comes! I didn't take a gap year, and even so I feel like I found myself suddenly married and done with college before I knew it. My cousin and sister are both in the midst of their gap year right now--they're working to earn some money towards those first tuition bills! No one's post-highschool years turn out exactly the same, everyone's path is a little different, and I like that, because it makes for the best kinds of stories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girllll I am cracking up. You don't have a thing to worry about a thing, God has graced you with wisdom far beyond your years and trust that He can redeem the time you lost. You can accomplish in one month, what might take others seven months to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ms. Holly! Your comments always make my life just in case you were not aware. You're like my personal cheerleader and I love that. SO MUCH. UGH.

    ReplyDelete
  7. SMH it's so ridiculous how much I hate working out, especially running. Ms. Kelly you know I've actually visited Arusha, but it was such a long time ago, i think another visit should happen like now! I reaaally wanna visit Dar because hellllo the beach! :O

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucky you! Oh man, two gap years? Smh my mom wouldn't want to here that! But there have definitely been many amazing things that have come out of taking a gap year. Thank you so much for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ms. Kelly your encouragement was so so needed! Thank you so much for stopping by and making my day! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh, you know Allie, I didn't even think of it like that! I've just been here twiddling my fingers {sorta kinda} and just hoping God will come through!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Outrageous Glamour16 January 2015 at 21:13

    Your instagram game is totally on point, you're pictures are so beautiful and professional. I don't think you should worry what so ever, and long as you have faith and your determined to make something of the time you have I'm pretty sure you'll do anything you desire.I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wellll shoooooot! haha. Dar is pretty sweet. Kinda of chaos and generally really really hot but I went on holiday there for a week at the beach (kigamboni area) and it was SO incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Michel'Lee Williams26 January 2015 at 02:57

    I am also on a gap year. It's so not going how I planned; although I am slowly but surely ticking some things off on my gap year bucket list.
    Don't be discouraged about not reaching some of your goals. I know exactly how you feel, because the major goals I listed are yet to be achieved ( eg. Getting a job ).
    Patience and faith is key.

    Being Perfectly Flawed

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers! Please leave a lovely comment :)

© Voyageuse Africaine
Maira Gall